Veterans In More Ways Than One

Each year I make a point of honoring Mr. PJ on Veterans Day. Yes, I share a roof with my very own veteran. He served in a peacekeeping force in the U.S. Navy before we met. He's brave in more ways than one. (He lives with me, doesn't he?)

In addition to paying tribute to him and so many other courageous men and women who serve our country, I'd like to take a page from Jenna's book. She has kindly included me in a group of women she's honored with her Blogger Flame of Fortitude. I realized in reading her post how many of us are veterans of a different kind. We've had to face down an unrelenting enemy. We've undergone physical hardship. We've been taken prisoner or been hostage to unforgiving medical protocols, and we've experienced emotional torture that would flatten all but the toughest.

Jenna has asked us, in turn, to pass on the commendation to those who "have embodied perseverance in the face of difficulty and shared the journey of their experiences with others proving that a single voice can both be a light of support or a source of humor for those in the midst of their struggle."

In addition to those Jenna has already singled out I'd like to acknowledge the following women who have allowed others to share in their personal story and provided camaraderie and support through the power of their words — whether in their own blogs or comments: Ann; Lori; Karen O; Chicklet; Geohde; Schatzi; Mother_Of_None; Chrissy; Flicka; Loribeth; BabyStep; Dianne; Kami; Namaste; SaraS-P; May; Sharah; PeeSticks; Deanna; DD; Irish Girl; and Zee. This list is only the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds more, and many others I'm only just getting to know. I commend everyone's honesty and the willingness to help others when you're in the midst of your own battles.

And as a special gift, since I've been posting with alarming frequency, I'll pull back on the reins and do more reading than writing for a bit.

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• 11/12/2007 4:31 AM Irish Girl wrote:
    Proud to be included in this group of strong, brave women!
  • 11/12/2007 5:27 AM lady macleod wrote:
    congratulations on your award and on Mr. PJ
  • 11/12/2007 7:23 AM peesticksandstones wrote:
    Oooh, you made my week already! Thanks for including me among such an awesome group -- I'm totally flattered.
  • 11/12/2007 7:30 AM Jenna wrote:
    Please thank Mr. PJ for me. I love that I get to spend my birthday each year in the company so such amazingly selfless men and women.
    And thanks for spreading the flame of fortitude.
  • 11/12/2007 8:46 AM loribeth wrote:
    Thanks for including me! I love reading your blog -- it's truly inspirational!

Re: veterans: someone (I think it was on the IVFC Vets board -- appropriately) once posted a description written by someone who had been to Iraq, about how difficult it was being back home, that they had been through something that most people simply could not relate to. The parallels between surviving combat & surviving infertility treatment were quite eerie.
  • 11/12/2007 8:57 AM Yodasmistress wrote:
    I'm familiar with a few of these bloggers. Those I am not yet acquainted with I will now wander off to see...
  • 11/12/2007 9:00 AM Dianne wrote:
    Thank you for acknowledging me, it means so much. It truly does. P.S. My T is also a vet. . They are truly special.
  • 11/12/2007 9:08 AM Kareno wrote:
    Thanks so much for this commendation Pamela Jeanne, it means a lot that you think my words and my blog can be mentioned alongside these other really strong women. I do think you're one of the best examples of women bloggers that made a really big difference in so many peoples lives.
  • 11/12/2007 11:28 AM Lori wrote:
    PJ, please thank your husband for me for his service to our country.

Thanks for you for including me in this group of brave bloggers. Coming from you, and hanging with them -- that means a LOT.
  • 11/12/2007 12:08 PM May wrote:
    Thank you so much for including me. Of course, you just made me cry, but hey, it was good crying.

I think I shall pour myself a little drink tonight, and raise a toast to all brave veterans everywhere.
  • 11/12/2007 1:50 PM Babystep wrote:
    Thank you, PJ for the shout out. I am honored to be included in the list.

I live with my own veteran as well (Marines). Please say thank you to Mr. PJ from me as well.
  • 11/12/2007 3:28 PM Geohde wrote:
    PJ, thank you.

That means a lot to me, I truly don't know what else to say,

J
  • 11/12/2007 6:11 PM SaraS-P wrote:
    I don't mind the extra writing! Even when I don't comment, I read, I learn, and I admire you even more.

Thanks for mentioning me.
  • 11/13/2007 10:45 AM JJ wrote:
    WELL deserved, and a great list of warriors!
  • 11/13/2007 1:52 PM chicklet wrote:
    Awww. Thx for thinking of me!! I totally would've put you on my list as well cuz as Saras-P said, I read and learn and you've just got a lot to offer
  • 11/13/2007 5:20 PM Deanna wrote:
    Oh, sweetie, thank you for the kind words. I like the notion of being a veteran, because veterans are the ones who survive the war. I think we're all a righteous bunch of vets, indeed.
  • 11/14/2007 6:39 AM DD wrote:
    Thank you for the recognition and to be included amongst a group of other incredible women is truly the honor.
  • 11/26/2007 11:13 AM Zee wrote:
    Wow, PJ! I'm just catching up with your previous posts and was floored to find this. Thank you so much! I'm incredibly touched by your acknowledgment, and honored to be included among such an amazing group of women.